Alternative Careers in Health Promotion and Education for International Medical Graduates (IMGs) Program
The Alternative Careers in Health Promotion and Education Bridging Program is designed to enhance the employment and educational position of international Medical Graduates to equip them for employment within the healthcare ecosystem in non-practitioner roles in Ontario. This 24 weeks blended program, includes four courses, a work experience placement, mentorship and job search/coaching supports will provide the necessary skills identified by prospective employers to successfully find gainful employment, while best using IMGs medical knowledge to enhance their contribution to health promotion and education field in Ontario. Course Description.
Public Health and Health Care System in Ontario – This course will provide an overview of the major public health issues in Canada and Ontario, also discuss social determinants of health, relevant research, health policy, an overview of Ontario’s Health Care System, and the work and role of Community Health Centres in Ontario, as well as health care advocacy organizations.
Health Promotion and Education Foundations – This course will introduce the Ottawa Charter for Health Promotion, models, theories, frameworks and community, and societal level change theories, as well as an introduction to strategy development. The course will also provide basic principals and practices in community development, including needs assessments, community consultations, program planning, and evaluation, social marketing principles, training/education techniques and to identify and develop community-level health project.
Business Communication and Cultural Competence – This course will provide essential business communications skills, which includes expectations surrounding workplace communications, workplace diversity, cross-cultural communications, teamwork, as well as essential conflict resolution skills, also an introduction to various tools that are used in the workplace, survey platforms Social Media and Marketing platforms.
Careers – approaches to searching for a job, research organizations and hiring managers, online searching tools, resumes and cover letters, practice interviewing; and how to find and develop a network. Develop a longer-term career plan and strategy. The course will feature numerous opportunities to meet with leaders and potential employers in healthcare promotion and education to gain valuable insights on work environments and expectations for working at an organization. Students will also meet with other advisors for feedback on their self-presentation skills. Students will be asked to develop a longer-term strategy.
- Medical Degree from an institution outside of Canada (WES or other academic equivalency required)
- In Canada 7 years or less
- Immigrant: Permanent Resident, Convention Refugee or Refugee Claimant, Canadian Citizen
- CLB score of 8/9
- Live in Ontario
- The fee for this program is $300. This fee offsets the training or academic portion of the program.
- The Government of Ontario kindly funds all other costs related to the program and employment services. The fee represents a small proportion (approximately 10 percent) of the overall cost of the program.
Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
Indicating in the subject line: Alternative Careers in Health Promotion and Education for International Medical Graduates (IMGs) Program
- 1. A one-page cover letter describing who you are, why you are interested in the program, and how you would use the knowledge and skills offered by the program after completion
- 2. Current resume specifying your education and professional experience and other supporting documentation (scanned copies of medical degree or certificate, academic equivalency such as WES or ICAS assessments if available)
- 3. Proof of language proficiency CLB 8 or equivalent
- 4. Proof of status in Canada
- 5. Proof of Ontario residency.
- 6. Proof of eligibility to work in Canada
For more information contact:
Applicants that met the requirements will be contacted for an interview.
Admission dates for the 2019 Fall Cohort to be announced soon.
To learn more about the Alternative Careers in Health Promotion and Education for IMGs Program please contact Carolina Giraldo at Phone 416-769-0830 Ext 2054 or email CGiraldo@lefca.org.